DUCK WITH RHUBARB & SLOE GINServes: 2 Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes
2 duck breasts, about 225g (8oz) each 125 g
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, finely sliced
2 tsp. caster sugar
3 tbsp sloe gin
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan) mark 6. Pat duck breasts dry with kitchen paper. Score skin at 1½ cm ( in) intervals, being careful not to cut down into flesh. Sprinkle skin generously with salt.
- Place breasts skin-side down in a cold, dry non-stick frying pan over low heat. Fry for about 12min (without turning) until skin is golden and crisp. As fat renders from skin, pour into a bowl and reserve.
- Set breasts fat-side up on a wire rack inside a roasting tin. Roast in oven for 18min for medium. Transfer to a board, cover with foil; rest while making sauce.
- Prepare rhubarb: cut into 5cm (2in) pieces, about 2cm (¾ in) thick. In the cleaned-out pan, gently fry shallots in 2tsp of the reserved duck fat (see GH Tip) for 3min until soft. Add garlic; fry for 1min. Add 75ml (3fl oz) water, sugar and sloe gin. Stir a little to dissolve sugar.
- Add rhubarb to pan, cover and simmer for 5min (don’t disturb rhubarb or it will lose its shape). Remove from heat. Set aside, covered, for a further 5min until rhubarb is tender. Check seasoning.
- Slice duck. Serve on the sauce.